For many, it is the season of overindulgence—from holiday parties complete with decadent sweets and cocktails, to unexpected dinners out with friends and family. However, treats should be balanced with nutritious options and a healthy fitness routine. Don’t let short-term temptation derail you from achieving your long-term health goals in 2020.
Our team offers the following tips to enjoy yourself this holiday season while keeping your fitness goals top of mind:
- Make treats exactly that, a treat: Avoid hovering by the dessert table all night. Allow yourself one treat per holiday party and then seek out healthy options, such as a veggie tray. Or, better yet, split desserts with friends so that you can enjoy all the flavors while staying on track with calories.
- Make time for exercise: While the holidays are a busy time, set time aside each week to exercise. If you have family in town, gather the group together and go for walks each morning. You can catch up with each other as you get your steps in, and set an example for your youngest family members.
- Don’t skip meals: Don’t starve yourself in preparation for the big holiday dinner. Breakfast is an important part of your day to kick-start metabolism. Further, eat healthy snacks throughout the day to boost your metabolism.
- Try a new exercise class: The excitement of trying something new can spark even more motivation to work out. Make the holiday season the time to try a class you’ve been thinking about.
- Recruit a workout buddy: It’s much harder to skip a workout when you have a friend who is relying on you to participate. Find a friend who can share your fitness routine during the holiday season and keep you accountable to your goals.
For more than 100 years combined, our team has been helping individuals reach their fitness goals, maximize their health, maintain their lifestyle and improve overall well-being.